Genesis (letter 1, Larry Crabb’s 66 Love Letters)
Don’t fear failure; if you do you’ll live for a success you can never achieve.
Don’t be afraid that things in life will go wrong, they will.
Don’t be afraid that you will feel empty, you will.
We’ve made a mess but God has a plan!
Genesis – Ray Steadman<-(click here for entire Bible summary)
It reveals to us the inadequacy of man without God.
The Bible begins with the answers to questions that scientists cannot answer –
- What is it that keeps the universe going?
- Where did we come from?
- Who made us?
- Why are we here?
Middle section – man’s failure to live successfully on the level of human relationships apart from God.
Last section – The story of five men – Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Joseph.
- Noah is a picture to us of regeneration. The beginning of life as a Christian is the passing from death into life (in Christ) just as Noah did in the flood.
- Abraham teaches us what it means to be justified, to be the friend of God by faith.
- Isaac is a beautiful picture of sonship, what it means to be a son of God. We shall be like Christ.
- Jacob is a beautiful picture of sanctification – when we give up our trying, we begin to live.
- Joseph, the last picture is – glorification. This is a picture of truth for the believer: when death comes, we can look forward to suddenly being translated to the very throne and presence of God himself.
The final message of Genesis is that God is absolutely necessary for the completeness of life.Without God you cannot understand the world around you, yourself or your neighbor or God himself. This is the first note in the Bible and it is also the last.
Genesis David Jeremiah (Understanding the 66 Books of the Bible)
Key thought: God is the origin of all things – the universe, the earth, life, humanity, the Jewish people, and the plan of redemption.
Key verse: Genesis 50:20-21 New King James Version (NKJV)
But as for you, you meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, in order to bring it about as it is this day, to save many people alive. Now therefore, do not be afraid;
Key Action: Remember that no matter what life brings or how evil intrudes, our Creator has a plan, His sovereignty cannot be thwarted, and His plan is right on schedule.